Three years after abandoning cases against him in his country, American actor Kevin Spacey has been charged in the United Kingdom with four sexual assaults on men, during which time he was artistic director of a theater in London.
• Also read: Kevin Spacey was ordered to pay US $ 31 million after losing his lawsuit against House of cards
The announcement on Thursday from the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), the British prosecutor’s office, gives a new echo to the accusations that have emerged since the Weinstein scandal, which halted the “House of Cards” star’s career.
“CPS has authorized criminal charges against Kevin Spacey, 62, on four counts of sexual assault against three men,” Rosemary Ainslie, head of CPS’s Special Crimes Division, said in a statement.
“He was also charged with causing a person to engage in explicit sexual activity without their consent,” he added, adding that these charges “follow the review of evidence collected by the Metropolitan Police in its investigation. .
British media said the actor had not yet been formally charged in the UK, as he was not there so far.
The cases against him cover a period from March 2005 to April 2013.
Two indictments are linked to sexual assault acts in March 2005 in London on the same plaintiff. Another sexual assault involved a second complainant in August 2008, who also accused him of forcing her into sharp sexual activity without her consent.
Finally, Kevin Spacey was charged with a fourth sexual assault on the third plaintiff in April 2013 in Gloucestershire (south-west England).
London police said the complainants, whose names have not been made public, are now in their 30s and 40s.
Scotland Yard has opened an investigation after receiving complaints of sexual assault against the actor, some of which were allegedly committed in London’s Lambeth district, where the Old Vic theater is located, where he was artistic director between 2004 at 2015.
“Alleged inappropriate behavior”
These accusations were made after the Weinstein scandal, named after the American film producer who has been targeted by multiple accusations of harassment and sexual assault, announced in the fall of 2017 by the New York Times and the New Yorker.
The Old Vic theater then ordered an internal investigation, conducted by a law firm, into the behavior of its former artistic director. In total, “20 personal testimonies of Kevin Spacey’s alleged inappropriate behavior” were collected.
The actor has also been the subject of investigations in the United States.
The announcement from the British prosecution coincided with Kevin Spacey appearing before a New York judge on Thursday for a procedural hearing in a civil suit brought by actor Anthony Rapp, according to U.S. court documents. Anthony Rapp accused Kevin Spacey of making sexual advances on him when he was a teenager, which Kevin Spacey denied and the action dropped to criminal proceedings.
Kevin Spacey was also charged with indecent assault and sexual assault in the state of Massachusetts (East Coast), but the charges were dropped in July 2019. He was accused of, in July 2016, possessing the property of an 18-year-old. young man working in a bar, after giving him a drink.
This wave of accusations has serious consequences on the career and reputation of the American actor who won two Oscars (for “American beauty” and “Usual suspect”).
He went on Netflix from the “House of Cards” series where he played the main character.
Mr. Spacey was also replaced by Canadian actor Christopher Plummer in Ridley Scott’s detective film, “All the Money in the World”.
In November 2021, the actor was ordered to pay $ 31 million to the company that produced the “House of Cards” series.
This production company, MRC, has sought damages for loss of revenue due to the departure of the actor in this series due to allegations of harassment and sexual abuse.